If your anything like me, you absolutely love downloading free sounds. I love nothing more than finding a brand new free VST synth to play with and hopefully find some new sounds as well. So, here is my collection of the top 10 best free VST synths available. All download links are for Windows computers, but some have Mac and Linux versions available too. Download, install and play! All of these synths are a must have in your arsenal of sound.
Synth1 is a software synthesizer. Functionally it is modelled on the Clavia Nord Lead 2 Red Synth.
- 2 Oscillators, FM modulation, ring modulation, sync, modulation envelope.
- 4 types of filters, distortion.
- 2 LFOs (synchronized with host).
- Arpeggiator (synchronized with host).
- Tempo delay (synchronized with host), stereo chorus/flanger.
- Legato mode, portamento.
- 16 notes polyphony.
- 128 presets.
- Thoroughly optimized for light CPU load using SSE instructions, etc.
SuperWave P8 is a virtual analogue synthesizer.
- 2 Oscillators: Single, Dual, 7 Oscillators SuperWave mode.
- Waveforms: Sine, Saw, Ramp, Triangle, Pulse, White Noise, Pink Noise.
- Controls: Waveform, Mode, Fine-Tune, Semi-Tune, Detune, Octave, Sync.
- 2 Resonant Filters: 12dB.
- Filter Types: Low Pass, Band Pass, High Pass.
- Controls: Filter Type, Cutoff Frequency, Resonance, Key Follow, Lock (Cutoff Frequency).
- 2 Amplifiers.
- Controls: Level, Pan, On/Off.
- 4 Envelopes (Filter x2, Amp x2).
- Controls: Depth, Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release.
Low Frequency Oscillators:
- 2 LFOs with multiple routing options.
- Waveforms: Sine, Saw, Ramp, Triangle, Pulse, White Noise, Pink Noise.
- Beat Ratios: 10.
- Controls: Waveform, Destination, Mode, Rate, Beat, Depth, Key On, Route.
- Modulation with multiple routing options.
- Controls: Input, Destination, Depth.
- Effect Types: Mono Delay x2 (1 Stereo pair).
- 8 note polyphonic operation.
- Main volume control.
- Mono/Polyphonic control.
- Portamento control.
- MIDI CC control with learn capability.
- 64 high quality presets.
Crystal is a semi-modular software synthesizer featuring both subtractive synthesis and frequency modulation (FM) synthesis.
Crystal offers abundant modulation control with over 90 parameters which may be modulated, multi-stage envelopes with graphical editors, extensive tempo sync of envelopes / LFO rates / delay times, built-in effects for chorus / flanging / comb filtering / echoes, and a band splitter for effects processing by frequency band. Not only that, Crystal has wave sequencing, granular synthesis, program morphing, MIDI learn, and imports SoundFonts.
The musical applications for Crystal are boundless.
Rez is a virtual analog monosynth, with a highly resonant low pass filter, that is capable of a wide range of sounds, from funky squishes, beastly basses and screaming leads, to tight arpeggiations, atmospheres, bells, and interesting effects.
- Phrase arpeggiator.
- Sub oscillator.
- Detune (modulatable via aftertouch).
- Highly resonant low pass filter.
- Pulse width modulation.
- Dual Delay.
- Phaser (with velocity modulation).
- 3 LFOs.
- Host BPM Sync.
- MIDI CC control over most presets.
- 256 presets.
TAL-NoiseMaker is an improved version of TAL-Elek7ro and has a completely new synth engine and a lot of improvements in sound and usability. The synth also includes a small effect section with a reverb, chorus and a simple bit-crusher effect.
A display shows the knob and slider values. This allows more control over the synth. A ring-modulator and a syncable triangle are also part of this synth. TAL-NoiseMaker includes new filter types as the self resonating 6dB low pass and a notch filter. Its improved amplitude ADSR is very suitable for slow pads as for really fast envelopes.
- 3 Oscillators:
- Osc 1, +- 24 semitones, fine tune, phase control (saw, pulse, noise).
- Osc 2, +- 24 semitones, fine tune, phase control (saw, rectangle, triangle, sine).
- Sub Osc (rectangle).
- Osc 1 PM for pulse waveform.
- Osc 2 FM controlled by Osc 1.
- Osc 1 & Osc 2 sync to sub osc (saw, pulse, rectangle, triangle (bipolar sync)).
- Adjustable master tune and transpose.
- Up to 6 voices.
- Portamento in mono and poly mode (off, auto, on).
- Ringmod modulates Osc 1 with Osc 2.
- Self resonating 4x oversampled filters (24 dB LP, 18 dB LP, 12 dB LP, 6 dB LP, 12 dB HP, 12 dB BP, Notch).
- Filter ADSR (negative and positive).
- Volume ADSR.
- Routable ADSR, modulates Filter, Osc 1, Osc 2, PW, FM (negative and positive).
- 2 LFOs with different running modes: free, sync to host, triggered by note.
- Modulates filter, osc 1, osc 2, FM, PW, LFO rate, panorama and volume.
- Sine, triangle, saw square, S&H, noise.
- Positive and negative modulation.
- Phase control.
- Adjustable Velocity dependent control over volume filter contour and cutoff.
- Adjustable Pitch Wheel control over Cutoff and Pitch.
- One pole HP filter.
- Detune, detunes notes randomly.
- Juno chorus with different modes.
- A built in reverb.
- Bitcrusher, affects osc 1 and osc 2. Its a pre the filter stage effect.
- MIDI learn for all knobs.
- Panic button.
- Easy to use, no hidden panels.
- 128 presets (80 Presets by Frank “Xenox” Neumann / Particular – Sound).
Peach is a synthesizer based on the classic Nintendo entertainment system’s psg audio system. More than 30 waveforms from many memorable sounds and tones have been meticulously deconstructed and tamed.
- 2 Oscillators, one SubOscillator and a Tuned Noise generator.
- 7 fully bandlimited waveforms per oscillator, detune, transpose and table shift controls.
- PWM in both oscillators, with manual width control or controllable by LFO.
- MULTI mode, which turns oscillator 1 in eight individual oscillators, with multi detune control.
- SYNC mode.
- Portamento with fixed and variable time, fingered or normal, and selectable effect on pitch bend.
- DC Burst generator to add punch to attack stage.
- Adjustable range Pitch Bend.
- Main Tune and Random Tune controls.
- 2-pole LPF/HPF/BPF, and ultrasmooth 4-pole LPF/HPF plus a high resonance 4-pole LPF filters.
- 3 dedicated Pitch, Filter and Amplifier Envelope Generators.
- 3 dedicated Pitch, Filter (PWM) and Amplifier LFOs.
- 4 channels mixer.
- Bass Eq control with adjustable centre frequency.
- Hard Drive effect.
- Decimator effect.
- Aggressive 6-Voice Chorus mono/stereo effect, controllable by Envelope Generator.
- Stereo/Ping delay effect, BPM sync’able to host tempo.
- Reverb effect with size control and two rendering modes.
- Stereo Spread effect.
- Four playing modes: Fingered, Low and High priority note Legato, Full Legato.
- All controls (67 knobs, 19 selectors), in front panel, no paged interface.
- Full MIDI Learn operation, with selectable min/max/reverse status.
- Multiple controls can be assigned to MIDI cc’s, same MIDI cc can be assigned to several controls.
- 128 program capacity, 128 factory presets instantly available via right-click.
- Up/Down program controls.
- Built-in program/bank naming, saving and loading capabilities (.fxb/.fxp).
- User definable bank for auto-loading on startup.
- Circular or Linear knob mode, with selectable inertia.
- Full note range preview ribbon, which sends MIDI messages to host.
- Complete User Manual included.
- Toms ( High/Low ).
- Hihats (Closed, Pedal, Open).
- Rimshot / Sidestick.
- Graphical envelopes.
- 6 stereo outputs.
- Bitcrusher or distortion effect for each sound.
- Ultra punchy sounds.
- Load and save single sound presets.
- Supports Automation.
Bass One is an easy to use 3-oscillator bass synthesizer
Radium is a virtual analog synthesizer.
- 16 voices polyphonic.
- 2 oscillators + sub.
- Substractive / FM capabilities.
- Multi-modes state variable filter (LP, HP, BP, BR).
- 2 host syncable LFO.
- 32 stages envelope time/level (host-syncable).
- MIDI learn implementation.
- Comfortable XY Pad.
- Auto Pan.
- CV sequencer on filter (like Ceres).
- Built-in patch management.